Sunday, February 1, 2015

Week 2: Initial Blog Responses (2-1-15)

My response to Jon Sheltmire:

Teachers can no longer produce lessons that heavily rely on basic rote memory practices, long lectures filled with regurgitated textbook information and “one answer only” questions if they expect to make education significant to the student. We must teach the youth of today not to solely depend upon straight and narrow “factual” information. Parker Palmer brought to light some great points about conventional education. I think there are definitely issues (even in modern day classrooms) as we strive to create meaningful connections with students. I am working on this in my own practice as I want my students to develop thoughtful ideas based on inquiry. I want my students to think deeper and often use “big ideas” to help spark great conversation in class. Perhaps a good starting point is thinking about the issues that our students face today and ways that we could approach these topics thorough art. What strategies are you thinking about as you aim to foster “cooperation and discovery?”

My response to Shirley Boudreaux:


You stated that “If we just helped each of our students to their fullest ability, then we are guiding them on the path so they can find their place in the world” and I think this is something worth contemplating. In the U.S. many educators are teaching students how to cram for tests and memorize rote information. Instruction time is dedicated to “teaching to the test.” However, when looking at actual international achievement rankings in the subject areas of reading, science, and math, students in Finland rank near the top. The amazing thing about this is that the Finns focus on individualized student learning and creative problem solving (incorporating required music, visual arts, and crafts education until the age of 16). Finland schools are not focused on standardized testing and robotic drill tactics that seem to suck the motivation right out of students. I think what we can learn from this is that it is possible to obtain a high quality education by making the focus cooperation instead of competition. This of course was something that Parker Palmer centered in on as well. What are your thoughts on creating more collaborative connections in the classroom? Do you think this makes an impact on student learning?

Reflections on my reflections: (Stay tuned!)

No comments:

Post a Comment