Saturday, February 28, 2015

Week 6: Initial Blog Responses (2-28-15)

Shirley-
I enjoyed watching your video! I think your message was clear and concise. I like that you broke your instructional content down into sequential steps. The way you fragmented your recording into different segments keeps monotony from setting in. You really take the viewer on a journey as you explain how you think as you brainstorm, tweak, create, and package your art.
Your work is so beautiful, too. When I look at it, I can see how the network of lines could even be symbolic! It kind reminds me of the lines of communication that might criss-cross as we share perspectives. The way you nested the shapes and explained the metaphor behind them is quite lovely. I also found your discussion about the color blue to be a great reminder that even elements of art can become contextual. Images are great, but sometimes color, line, shape, etc. can stand on their own in how a story is formed.

Jon-
I think you bring up many valid points! I agree that “conventional art materials seem to be becoming less and less relevant in our society every day.” I find Mota’s talk about research centers to be very intriguing. I’m trying to imagine associations/corporations centered on “hacking” and creating new recipes with open source materials. What kinds of things would or could be developed if we let creative individuals in all different fields try out and explore tools, objects, and products? We could end up with solutions to make materials more versatile, advance aims towards sustainability, or even find ways to extend longevity of life…the list goes on and on. To kind of “ping” off of what Emily Brewer’s video showed us, the “makey makey” could help those with physical disablilties (for ex. robotic or trigger hand devices for those who do not have hand dexterity).

Your sentiments about working with new materials and experimentation this week reminded me of a video that I recently watched (see link below). There are a few artists out there who are exploring a technique called sand animation. The work I have seen done with this type of art definitely echoes your thoughts on cross-disciplinary curriculum approaches.  Artists like David Myriam work to connect play, technology (film/projectors), sand, literacy, and music to produce truly imaginative, temporal, works of art. Check out his interesting cinematographic practice here:
http://tramage.com/About-sand-drawing.html




No comments:

Post a Comment