Jon-
Very neat! It was great to see how two kindergarten students
respond to such a deep question. It was interesting to hear Presley start with
the basics. I think she responded and felt that the jest of art was based
around drawing pretty pictures. However, once Jacqui began to give a more
elaborate response you could see the wheels turning in Presley’s mind. They
were then stimulated to think about whether art is something that you do on
your own, if your teacher makes you do it, or if a friend could be the
motivator behind the art making. Through discussion, I think their ideas about
art were beginning to expand. Keep on asking those why questions! And maybe
even have the kiddos come up with some questions of their own. Maybe you can
even start a KWL chart. I love the quote from this week’s reading which I think
is relevant to all learners:
"Once you have learned how to ask questions--relevant
and appropriate and substantial questions--you have learned how to learn and no
one can keep you from learning whatever you need or want to know."
~Postman and Weingartner
Shirley-
I like the idea of combining science and art. This lesson is
a great way to overlap subject areas. Another great thing is that the microorganisms
kind of take on a more non-representational approach which allows for all
projects to look unique. I’m curious about some of the questions that you used
during the VTS/”looking at art” section of the lesson. What were some of the
queries that you posed and how did the students respond (and vice versa)? I bet
the students were wowed by many of the images that you chose to display. Did
any of the images seem to make more of an impact (just curious)?
Side note: I recently read clip card lesson plan in SchoolArts Magazine called “At the Cellular Level”. It might be of interest to you, too. The students were inspired to create clay artworks based on what they found under microscopes:
http://www.schoolartsdigital.com/i/152199-jan-2007/8
Side note: I recently read clip card lesson plan in SchoolArts Magazine called “At the Cellular Level”. It might be of interest to you, too. The students were inspired to create clay artworks based on what they found under microscopes:
http://www.schoolartsdigital.com/i/152199-jan-2007/8
No comments:
Post a Comment