Overton County
Lesson Plan
Teacher:
Annette Saldana Subject: Visual Arts I Date: 4-10-15
Lesson
Plan Title: "Why Design is Important: Creating a Space of Your Own"
Standards
and Objectives:
1.1
Demonstrate the use of knowledge and technical skills in at least one specific
medium
1.3
Analyze, synthesize, and evaluate the application of media, techniques and
processes used to solve visual art problems.
2.1
Demonstrate an understanding of art elements and design principles
2.2
Analyze and critique organizational components and expressive qualities of
artworks.
2.4
Apply problem-solving skills to create solutions to specific visual art tasks.
3.1
Demonstrate critical thinking in the selection of content in works of art
3.2
Evaluate meaningful images that reflect personal experiences and environments
4.2
Interpret the function and explore the meaning of specific art objects within
varied cultures
4.3
Demonstrate how history and culture influence the production of art.
5.2
Reflect on and evaluate artworks in order to understand various interpretations
6.2
Integrate ideas, issues, and themes in the visual arts with other subject areas
Measurable
Goals (SPI):
-Use
observational and technical skills to achieve the illusion of depth in
two-dimensional space (For ex. value, perspective and placement of objects).
-Compare
and analyze how art elements and principles are used for expressive purposes
(For ex. symbolic color, dynamic lines, and rhythmic patterns).
-Recognize
that different assumptions and theories of art lead to different
interpretations of artworks
Materials/Supplies/Technology:
Drawing
paper (11x14)
Drawing
pencils
Rulers
Eraser
Magazines
Scissors
Reference
Worksheets
Image
Resources
Projector
Computer
Computer
Camera
Prior
Student Knowledge:
Students have used one point perspective to develop
three dimensional shapes (ex. turning a square into a cube). They have been
learning how to shade forms to help depict volume. The class has explored the
use of color in terms of ways to create contrast and self-expressionism.
Though, perspective is relatively new to them, they have been reflecting on
terminology such as:
·
background
·
converging lines
·
depth
·
foreground
·
horizon line
·
illusion
·
intersecting lines
·
middle ground
·
overlap
·
parallel lines
·
perpendicular
·
planes
·
picture plane
·
realistic
·
Renaissance
·
three-dimensional
·
two-dimensional
·
vanishing point
~Lesson Procedures/Activities (List time spans) ~
Opening
Dialogue (Includes agenda for lesson, introduction of standard(s), and
real-world connection):
In
visual art, creating illusions is based on specific concepts and methods. Art
that is an illusion of reality has been continually admired and valued across
time. Our lesson today will address two essential questions: Why is art that is an illusion of reality
fascinating to look at? How do artists use linear perspective to create the
illusion of depth? Our national and state standards state that we should: 2.2
Analyze and critique organizational components and expressive qualities of
artworks and 2.4 Apply problem-solving skills to create solutions to specific
visual art tasks. As we work today, we will be addressing these objectives as
you use perspective techniques to create a unique, one of a kind “dream space”.
Hook/Review:
In
this lesson, you will explore how to create the illusion of depth on a
two-dimensional surface using linear and optical perspective drawing
techniques. Later, you will apply these skills to create your own room design
or “dream space” in a personalized and unique manner. We will continue to
investigate perspective methods invented during the Renaissance to learn how
these techniques are used by artists and designers to imitate reality and produce
the illusion of depth. You will combine artistic and mathematical skills to
create an imaginative art piece.
Direct Instruction:
The teacher will show historical art works, while focusing
on the use of linear perspective and spatial illusions. The instructor will
explain how expressive qualities might be used to enhance an interior
environment. Teacher demonstration and
modeling of drawing techniques helps students learn through direct observation
of the skill being taught.
Guided
Practice:
The teacher will engage students in discussions
periodically throughout the lectures and activities during the lesson. Students
will be assessed and given feedback based on their replies. Teacher will
explain student project steps and will demonstrate periodically. Students will
be monitored and given individual feedback as they work to see that they
understand the guidelines. Students will be shown the step by step process in
which they will gradually build in an interior spatial illusion. The students
will also be guided as they work with a vanishing point as they will need
techniques to help them become more successful. Next, students will choose with
lines, colors, textures and imagery using colors knowledge of color theory and
symbolism. The teacher will give examples of how the elements of design can add
to the expressive quality of an artwork. Learners will be assessed based on
questionnaires and self-reflection writings to determine if comprehension of
spatial illusions and expressionism has been met.
Independent
Study Assignment (Label Bloom’s Taxonomy Level or Webb’s
Depth of Knowledge Level. Describe oral and written feedback given to
students):
Bloom’s Taxonomy Level: Students will “create” an
artwork that reflects self-expression. Students will engage in writing
assignments and activities that encourage the use of symbolism and illusion.
These are activities that allows for higher cognitive, creative thinking.
Students produce an invented interior space that is
personal due to content and technique. Through a selective process they will
become more analytical in their approach to art. Students will analyze and
compare art works. Students will receive oral feedback as teacher monitors
progress of art production. Students will critique the interior designs in the
future when projects are complete. The teacher will give written feedback to
students after their writings and artworks have been reviewed.
Student
Writing Assignment to Draw Conclusions:
-Group Critique Artist/Artwork Investigation-to
discover what students know and think about spatial illusions
-Room Space “Planning” Handout-to find out whether
or not students understand why their themes and ideas are important to them while creating an interior
space
-Self Reflection Writing- To understand the goals, strategies, and thought processes of students
Closure/Reflection:
The
teacher will close the class by discussing how dream spaces can be illusions of
the real world or an imaginary one. She will remind students that what kind of
space to create and how to make it interesting are up to them. The instructor
will explain that they will continue to learn how to use linear perspective drawing
techniques, which will help them create depth for their spaces.
Grouping Configurations:
Students
sit at work stations. Students work cooperatively and discuss problem-solving
techniques. Students will be asked to evaluate art as groups and then share
with the class.
Differentiation for Individual Student Needs:
-Help
students learn objectives in a sequential order, introducing key concepts at a
basic
level
and progressing to more advanced levels.
-Work
from students’ current levels of understanding. Use ongoing assessment to
determine
when to introduce key terms and more challenging concepts.
-The
lesson provides opportunities for students of all ability levels to express
their ideas,
personality,
feelings, experiences and interests. Although the drawing part of the lesson
can
be challenging for some students at this grade level, growth of ideas and
techniques will hopefully be present.
-Provide
one-on-one instruction for students who need assistance and provide small group
demonstrations
between steps to help students develop drawing skills.
Extensions:
-Creation
of perspective drawings based on direct observation.
-Explore
multiple styles of art for comparison, art criticism and art production, such
as
Surrealism,
Cubism, etc.
-Student
room designs can be based on a particular concept or theme that is currently
being
studied in another content area. For example, students can design rooms that
include
symbols or imagery that reflect a particular culture.
-Advanced
students can experiment with moving the horizon line up or down or the
vanishing
point left or right to create asymmetrical dream spaces.
Assessments-
Formative:
Questioning strategies
Observations
Lecture-discussions
Writing Assignments
Summative:
Art work will be graded using a rubric. Students
will turn in accompanying handouts to demonstrate how they have documented
ideas and design process. Portfolios are assessed periodically.
Next Steps After Assessment Results:
Next Steps After Assessment Results:
Portfolio evaluation will continue to occur in order
to help students better understand their own learning as evidenced by their
classroom work. This process of students keeping ongoing records of their work
not only engages students, it also helps them, beyond a "grade," to see
where they started and the progress they are making toward the learning goal.
______________________________________________________________________________
Highlights
of Questioning During the Lesson (w/ Student Replies):
In what ways would you say perspective
or spatial illusion is not accurately depicted in this painting (image: Luttrell
Psalter “Banquet Scene”)?
It looks flat/2-D
The table looks like it is flipped on its side
It looks flat/2-D
The table looks like it is flipped on its side
The table edge looks curved or bowed
The food looks like it should be falling off the table
You can’t see the feet of the people
The faces look unrealistic
One man is really large and another appears to very tiny
If you were drawing this artwork
how would you make improvements?
Show less of the table
Show less of the table
Design it so that the side edge of the plates are seen instead of the
entire plate
Show the feet of those at the table
Angle the edges of the table
Why do you think spatial design
was less important in the Middle Ages?
They didn’t know how to use perspective
They didn’t know how to use perspective
They focused more on the symbolism behind the artwork
The artwork was used to tell stories to those who couldn’t read or write
…not meant to be hung up
simply for its beauty
Why do you think people value
perspective and spatial illusions so much?
The techniques are so amazing and mind blowing
It’s important for interior design
Architects use it to build things
Architects use it to build things
Artists can make their designs seem more realistic
You can use it in cartoons
(Before hands-on art making
activity)
What theme or decade do you enjoy?
What theme or decade do you enjoy?
Why do you like that
theme/decade so much?
What room/space do you want to
focus on?
How could you tie in features
within your dream space so that it is related to your theme or decade of
choice?
(Student A reply)
-The 90s
-I like grunge music
-The living room
-I could have a worn out couch, a guitar stand, music posters on the
wall, a lava lamp, a flannel shirt hanging off of a piece of furniture
(Student B reply)
-Late 50s into early 60s
-I like the movie Breakfast at Tiffany’s
-A bedroom
-All the furniture and accessories would be elegant and classic. I would use pink, gold, black, and white. A fancy chandelier would be in the room. And I would probably have long, flowing curtains.
-I like the movie Breakfast at Tiffany’s
-A bedroom
-All the furniture and accessories would be elegant and classic. I would use pink, gold, black, and white. A fancy chandelier would be in the room. And I would probably have long, flowing curtains.
_________________________________________________________________________________
How
did it go? The lesson went rather well. Students seemed attentive and had
many ideas to share. I think they were mesmerized by the visuals. Most of my
students are fascinated by perspective and want to be able to design their own “dream
space.” They liked the open-endedness of the assignment because many of them
have their own diverse thoughts or opinions about what makes a room interesting
to them. Also, they see design as something that could potentially be a field
of study in the real world. Many of my students are thinking about how they
might use these techniques in architecture, drafting, interior design, fashion,
animation, etc.
What
did you learn?
I learned that I need to slow down! The students haven’t had any lessons on
perspective in the past. We are starting with the basics. I’m breaking things
down into small chunks so that the information will be more digestible. Today
we were able to focus on the “how’s and the why’s” of design. I was also able
to get them to think about what kind of dream space they might potentially
create. Today, they were all successful in building a framework (one point
perspective grid). Hopefully, in the days to come they will be able to plug all
kinds of ideas into the kind of “room” that they are enthralled with.
What
would you do differently?
I kept thinking of different questions that I could have asked. However, if I
had continued to ask too many things, we would have had little time for any
hands on art making. I find time management is always a struggle. I have an allotted
amount of time before that bell rings, and yet I have so many ideas I want to
plug into the activity. I think I’ll just continue to jot inquiries down as
they come, so that I don’t forget them. Later, I can always just go back and
re-visit some of those thoughts as we continue through the week.
WHY
did it work or not work?
So far, things are working out great (despite student lack of experience). I
think that I will continue on with this lesson for a couple more days. We
really didn’t move at the pace at which I expected. Also, I’m thinking about
how to follow up this lesson with maybe a foreshortening/figure drawing
activity. Because I’ve been thinking about the idea of courage/power, maybe
students could create a “power pose” as an extension lesson. I think this could
be neat considering it will tie into space, perspective, and will filter in
those enduring ideas that I want to touch upon. I will still be using the
previous “courage” Socratic seminar, but plan to filter it in at a later date
when we begin studying more about body language, figure study, and how it
relates to context.
________________________________________________________________________________
Update!!! These are some of the student artworks that were produced:
________________________________________________________________________________
Update!!! These are some of the student artworks that were produced:










First off I would love to see what your student’s work looks like for the lesson on, “Why Design Is Important: Creating A Space Of Your Own.” I can visually see the two-dimensional surface of a room, but having each student adding their own perspective to this assignment would explain a lot for me. Could you also name what historical artworks you will be showing your students for this lesson?
ReplyDeleteI love artwork that helps students reflect on their self-expression. This is one of the best ways to keep our students engaged within the classroom from what I have seen.
Annette, this lesson was very thought out and I hope you do not mind, but I’m going to add this lesson to my basket of ideas to pull from.
Shirley-
DeleteSo far we have looked at Luttrell’s “Banquet Scene” from the Middle Ages, Da Vinci’s “The Last Supper”, and Brunelleschi’s architectural drawings of the Church of Santo Spirito. We will also be examining Arnolfini’s "Wedding" Portrait, Raphael’s “School of Athens”, and Edward Hopper’s “Nighthawks.” We will also look at contemporary design as well. Magazines such as “Dwell” serve as a great resource for brainstorming. So far the students have only created a basic room grid, and the rest is explorative for them. I’ll post some pictures once they start adding things into the rooms. Can’t wait to see how far they go with the room investigation/design part :)
Yep, once again, gonna have to steal your idea too. I'm a big fan of perspective and shading. When I was a kid, my mom gave me those tips and it changed my whole drawing life. I just wish I remembered the lesson I had in school on it, because I know there was one. I don't even remember which teacher brought it up, but I remember learning the principles. On the one hand, we don't want to discourage creativity and encourage conformity (we all hear that a lot with the "stay inside the lines" warning), but on the other hand I think young artists should have the benefit of understanding real world laws of shadow and perspective, as well as how to accurately portray proportion. From an artistic perspective I know a lot of people consider realism to be "boring" but I am utterly fascinated by it. Knowing how to produce convincing imagery - even if it's of the impossible (such as monsters, aliens, science fiction environments, etc.) - is VERY relevant in today's world with movie magic, cartooning, CGI, advertising and so forth. Anyway, your lesson plan is very professional... I'm starting to think maybe you've done this before...
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jon! I do try to find a happy balance been creativity and the foundations of art/design. I believe that some boundaries are good because they can stimulate imagination and lead students into problem solving. That being said, I don't think there would be a way to "standardize" the end results. The students will producing anything and everything from A to Z. And as they are working they will have a multitude of questions about how to design this and that (they will have some guidance from me, but a lot of independent seeking will be necessary, too.) And, yes, I have made many, many lesson plans throughout my career. This is my sixth year of teaching and I have developed various 18 week curriculum units for Art I, II, III, IV, and College Board Studio AP 2-D. After awhile, it just becomes second nature :)
DeleteYou know, as I was reading you blog towards the end you mentioned that you always had these questions that you wanted to ask the kids as you were working and I often have the same issue. I just had a thought for people like us. What if we had a white board displayed in our room that we could write down our questions as they are working? I know that anytime that I write something on the board my students watch me like a hawk (weird, I know) and if we were writing our thought process down as they were working they would be able to glance up every once in a while and see where our brain is at. I don't know whether it would actually work our not but I bet my students would be intrigued by the questions it could be potentially be helping them guide their own thoughts and questions. I want to see pictures of your project!!! I would love to see what their design spaces look like and what they were inspired to create as their decade piece.
ReplyDeleteHi Anette!
ReplyDeleteThere is a lot to address here!
Very thorough lesson, a lot to cover in one day! Are your class periods longer? (I taught in a school for awhile where we had 90 minute class periods , IT WAS FABULOUS!) Great reflections, and I agree, take a breath, there is a lot here to cover and so much potential :)
First I want to just interject regarding your noting about ideas and Ashley's suggestion. I too have a trillion thoughts when Im teaching (well, frankly, all the time). However, I do voice them. I like to through a wrench in the wheels now and again to challenge and disrupt thinking. Does it create chaos? Yes, however, I also notice it invigorates and invents alternative responses. I love Ashley's thought about a white board. Why not?
Art is not just about the physical piece, its also about thinking, perception, reflection. Would it be so bad to spend an entire class period just exploring idea? Again, this has happened more times than I can count in my classes. The plan for the day becomes something different because our imaginative wondering takes us on a unknown journey of discovery. It is here the seeds of new idea and inspiration germinate.
I heard a lot of murmuring about skills and the elements and principles this week on many blogs. These foundational tools are certainly important. I have found that these tools will develop and become uniquely their own through play and exploration of ideas. A finessing within if you will. I compare it to this. I can go to the store and give everyone the exact same hammer and the same size nail and show them the “right way” to hammer in a nail. OR I can create a space where they develop and build their own hammer and nail which is uniquely designed to express their ideas, they decide how to use it, where, when, how it best applies to the expression of ideas. Its a subtle difference really because at the other end, the skill is now there. The difference is, the skill came as a result of their personal meaning making, through learning, combining, experimenting, rather than having the skill and then trying to apply it a meaningful process. In the first example, skills and meaning evolve from one another, in the second, they are separate entities, one comes before the other. The assumption that students need to have skills before they make art assumes that art must be created a certain way. It assumes a subtle emphasis on the product, where as the other emphasizes process. Just something to reflect on. :)
Your lesson has a lot of great things developing in it. Love the dream space. I bet your students do too! Maybe share a photo of their work? Would love to see what they did with this.