Friday, January 23, 2015

Week One: Lineage (1-23-15)

What surprised you about your educational history?
Most of my terrible experiences happened in Math or Physical Education classes. My issues with teachers occurred when I felt singled out or made to feel embarrassed when not fulfilling a task “successfully.” When yelled or laughed at, I felt small and belittled which led me to shut down and focus less. Honestly, I am surprised that I didn't vocally express some of this dismay to my parents or administrators. I think I was just too scared to share my insights with “authority figures.”

What patterns do you notice emerging?The majority of my positive experiences occurred in creative classrooms. Visual Art, Theater, Music, Writing, and Foreign Language classes were very influential in shaping me into the teacher that I am today. I also thrived and had more success when I was in an environment that I felt safe in. When teachers were too threatening, I failed to form a connection with them.

Discuss your visual lineage:
My artwork started out as a simple tree that wasn't full grown as I wanted it to reflect the fact that I’m still in the act of building stronger roots. The roots then earned their place within the center of my eye as this symbolizes how visually connected I am to everything, and how the art of seeing is a precious gift. The pictorial imagery in this region is meant to demonstrate my love for the Visual Arts as well (paintbrush, color wheel, and palette). “The Creation of Adam” is pictured at the top of the composition as this is one of the first paintings that I learned about in school. This painting also caused controversy and confusion in my life as a young artist when I decided that nudity wasn’t taboo if the depiction of angels were involved.
Most of my bad experiences in education happened in Math class, PE, and in lecture based classrooms where I felt like I had no control. The tears that flow out of the eye are designed to represent the negative experiences that I have had in education, but that also allude to the moist nourishment that can be provided to the tree’s roots in the process. In other words, the terrible experiences we have in life shape us into the people…the teachers that we become.
I had many “ah ha” moments when creating my design. The concepts that were developed as I was in the act of working didn't make sense at first, but later the ideas came to fruition. For instance, the layers that create divisions above the eye started out as literal representation, but then became layers of “soil” that protect and provide a foundation for the sapling. In these sectional divides, I hope to explore memories that are tied to influential teachers. I aim to hint at how both culture and literature helped to inspire me during my schooling.
This was a challenging project because I was torn between the idea of creating something literal and the thought of creating something symbolic/abstract. The images within the artwork are recognizable, but the meaning behind them may seem obscure to the viewer. When I look at the imagery, it makes sense to me and I am personally connected to it. So it is my hope that others will find it to be inviting, too. I also hope that my artist statement will help to clarify some ambiguity. I’m open to questions and suggestions about the art piece as I’d like to progress further and add more!

Progressive stages (collage):

The final image:

6 comments:

  1. Annette, I’m so sorry that you had those experiences in school. I understand what it feels like to be the one singled out in Math and other non-art classes. I think that we, as teachers, need to tell our students that they have a voice or give them a voice in their artwork. Pencils are a great medium to utilize for all those ideas that want to be explored. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, art has been a great outlet for me. I love being expressive and I appreciate the open-endedness that creative classes offer.

      Delete
  2. Annette,

    This is a wonderful description of your process. You have clearly created an internal space to allow for the unfolding of the unexpected while also being clear about the different aspects of influence. I enjoyed reading your position on the negative experiences, recognizing that while painful, they also contribute to the whole and not necessarily in a bad way. (well, now anyway, it pains me that many children have so many negative experiences, myself included!)

    I will truly enjoy witnessing the evolution this piece. Your intentions to weave memories into the layers of soil will be interesting to see as well as anything else you add. Your metaphors and thoughtful placement of ideas within the whole come together nicely in communicating your meaning. I am quite curious about your comment about nudity and angels. :) In my imagination, this must have been an interesting shift for you!

    I noted your use of “authority figure”. This is a powerful word ripe with layers of meaning and implication. As an adult, what is your relationship with this word now, especially in relation to education? Might be interesting to compare and contrast ideas about this word, your memories as a child being subject to it, and your present perception, now that you are a teacher, and likely in the eyes of some of your students, an “authority figure”.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful response! So, yes, the topic of "nudity" was one I couldn't quite wrap my brain around in grade school. My art teacher had explained how Michelangelo's paintings weren't considered taboo b/c they had religious undertones. However, I remember vividly the first time someone drew a naked angel in class, and she flew into a frenzy! I was very confused and imagine that many students today get mixed emotions/viewpoints in regards to figure study, too. As an adult, my ideas have completely changed as I value the human body as a pure form of art. However, growing up in a strict household and having traditional/restricting art teachers led to some contemplation about what is "right' and "wrong" in art...ha ha...

      Delete
  3. Hi Annette! I really enjoyed the way in which you chose to represent your lineage tree! I think that it reads beautifully and I love following the “process” throughout the work. I particularly enjoyed your representation of negative experiences through the tears that ultimately water the tree that is your learning. I thought that was very powerful. I think it is so true that we almost learn more from the things that go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your supportive words! Yes, I feel that symbolism ended up being reflected in this piece. I'm glad you found it to be powerful :)
      I do try to create a positive climate in my class and hope that students feel valued in my class. However, there is something about the negative things that happen in life that just end up giving us "thicker skin."

      Delete