Part one:
Inspiring…
When you think about a classroom problem, do you try to see it from different “angles” (p.4)?
Yes, I feel that I do try to solve problems by looking at them from different angles. I am very reflective in how I sink into contemplation when issues are occurring in the classroom. I cringe at the thought of teachers attempting to use textbooks as the one and only source for handling classroom management, curriculum construction, learning outcomes, etc. I remember when the Harry Wong books were my “go to” for just about everything and how disappointed I was when many of his suggested techniques backfired on me. If an educator stays in technician mode how will they ever resolve educational problems? There is no “one size fits all” when handling the everyday occurrences that present themselves in the classroom. There is also very little time to think about the way we will react in an “on the spot” situation. That being said, there is time to think about how you reacted later on and assess whether or not the issue was handled properly or efficiently.
When you think about a classroom problem, do you try to see it from different “angles” (p.4)?
Yes, I feel that I do try to solve problems by looking at them from different angles. I am very reflective in how I sink into contemplation when issues are occurring in the classroom. I cringe at the thought of teachers attempting to use textbooks as the one and only source for handling classroom management, curriculum construction, learning outcomes, etc. I remember when the Harry Wong books were my “go to” for just about everything and how disappointed I was when many of his suggested techniques backfired on me. If an educator stays in technician mode how will they ever resolve educational problems? There is no “one size fits all” when handling the everyday occurrences that present themselves in the classroom. There is also very little time to think about the way we will react in an “on the spot” situation. That being said, there is time to think about how you reacted later on and assess whether or not the issue was handled properly or efficiently.
Pushed my buttons (In regards to the discouraging
reflectivity part)…
In
what ways might the structure of classrooms and schools contribute to and/or
discourage teacher reflectivity (p.13)?
I think most schools are structured in a way that supports teacher reflectivity. Most will provide mentoring during the first years of teaching which allows the educator to get feedback from professionals based on their reflective inquiries. Administrators periodically evaluate teachers and encourage self evaluation afterwards that urges teachers to be more in tune with their teaching practices. Also, professional development and training is oftentimes provided or encouraged by school leaders. Workshops, seminars, and conferences can aid teachers as they become more consciously and systematically reflective in the educational field.
On the other hand, I think teacher reflectivity is sometimes discouraged because it involves transformation. Not all schools are open to change. Some schools are traditionally set in their ways. And other times factors such as low funding or politics halt reflective action. Reflective teachers may find themselves in a situation where they want or need their voice to be heard and yet no one is willing to collaborate.
Challenging…
If
a student comes to you angry with another student or crying and upset, what is
your first reaction? What other reactions might you have? Do you ever react
differently to students (or to their parents) depending on their gender, race,
or social class background (p.16)?
My
first reaction is to get this student in a more private setting so that other
students do not flock to the scene and create chaos. By removing the student
from a more public setting you are better able to talk one on one with that
student and better assess the situation. You are also more likely to get honest
or more truthful answers that aren’t created as a means to “fit in” with or
appease peers. Next, I would see if the situation was dependent on a guidance counselor
as I may send them directly to the guidance office. In a situation where a
fight has occurred, the result may be to have a student seek disciplinary
assistance. Administrators may want the
student to file an incident report. If
the situation is beyond a school leader’s control then I would make contact
with the SRO (school resource officer).
In
the past, I have reacted differently to students depending upon gender and
social class. Because I am female, I can oftentimes help a female student in a
more relatable way. The issues arising can involve menstrual cycles, sexual
harassment, bulling, etc. In my experience, girls have sought me out for more
assistance than male students. I do find myself having more “personal” talks
with females rather than guys as they are often more open in discussing the problems
that they are having.
I have a tendency to handle situations with the underprivileged in a specialized way. There is a direct correlation between social economic status and academic success. Therefore, I try to make sure there is as much equity in the classroom as possible. However, sometimes that means I may provide a sketchpad or other art materials to someone who can’t afford it. Other times, it could mean that I am providing extra time/tutoring to a student who maybe didn’t have a “good night” at home the night before.
I have a tendency to handle situations with the underprivileged in a specialized way. There is a direct correlation between social economic status and academic success. Therefore, I try to make sure there is as much equity in the classroom as possible. However, sometimes that means I may provide a sketchpad or other art materials to someone who can’t afford it. Other times, it could mean that I am providing extra time/tutoring to a student who maybe didn’t have a “good night” at home the night before.
Part Two
Openmindedness:
I
loved the way the critical believer was described as being “willing to enter sympathetically
into opposing points of view because they realize that all belief systems have
weaknesses and can be strengthened by the confrontations with different beliefs.”
Let’s face it; we are all prone to having our own distinct ideas in relation to
the classroom. Maybe we have goals/objectives that we find most important for
our students to learn. Perhaps, we have our own vision of what a
teacher-student relationship looks like. Or…it could be that we have become
firmly attached to certain pedagogical strategies. Sometimes I think we expect
our students to be open-minded and accepting of new practices, and yet we never
question our own role in this concept! What I enjoy so much about being in teacher
education programs is the fact that we get to share and investigate new ideas.
My goal is to become more of a “critical believer” as I think that
transformation in the classroom is vital to growth. We have to change with the
times and create relevant and meaningful learning experiences for the students of
today!
Responsibility:
Our
teaching can make or break a student’s journey into learning. How fragile and delicate
the mind and soul can be! We are responsible for how a student’s self-concept,
intellectual development, and social/life experiences are shaped. And yet our
viewpoints on how to develop our curriculum are in direct relation to what WE
find important to learn. As a reflective teacher, it is important to step back and
acknowledge that we sometimes have isolated perspectives. We must, as educators,
continue to examine the consequences and outcomes of our teaching.
Wholeheartedness:
The
statement that resonated with me the most in this section explained how teachers
who are wholehearted “regularly examine their own assumptions and beliefs and
the results of their actions and approach all situations with the attitude that
they can learn something new.” When I read this I kept thinking about teachers
with a resistance to change that never think twice about trying something fresh
or foreign to them. And to tie this back to the Washington Post article, I
would say it reminded me of the section that reads:
“11) Enough humility to remember it’s not about you. It’s about the kids. If your ego rules your classroom, if the class turns into “me vs. them” or if you can’t understand that a sixteen year old might be able to tell you something you don’t know, then don’t teach. Or at least, don’t teach high school.”
“11) Enough humility to remember it’s not about you. It’s about the kids. If your ego rules your classroom, if the class turns into “me vs. them” or if you can’t understand that a sixteen year old might be able to tell you something you don’t know, then don’t teach. Or at least, don’t teach high school.”
Also,
I think that if you are wholehearted in Art, then you are inquisitive and
excited about your content area. You are enthusiastic enough to break out of
your regular routine! This involves constructing a curriculum that allows for flexibility.
There are great outcomes in designing lessons that help to create engagement
between you and your students. In the end, they learn from you, and you gain
knowledge from them.
Part Three
I’m
in my sixth year of teaching, and just took on a new job position close to
home. I am now teaching in the same high school that I attended and graduated
from in 1998. Times have changed! When I was the Visual Arts I student in this
room, the curriculum was written so that it focused more on the foundations and
history of art. The textbook was the staple that tied all of the learning
together. There were probably five art making projects during the 18 weeks of
study. The mentality was that you speak when spoken to; otherwise… you don’t speak
at all.
After I graduated, another teacher came to the school and seemed to broaden the curriculum a bit to include more student-centered projects and art making experiences. However, the textbook was still used for most of the instructional time (esp. for the first year art students). Years have passed, and here I am again! I am now the teacher and I would say that I have taken drastic measures in re-shaping the curriculum. I like to mix pedagogical methods, and play with both traditional and contemporary strategies. I have constructed separate curriculum maps for Art I, II, III, and have also added two more. My two brand new designs are used in my College Board Studio AP Art (advanced art) classes. And my very latest one is titled: “Artcology (a combination of Art and Ecology that is used to further learning in Eco-Art Education).
After I graduated, another teacher came to the school and seemed to broaden the curriculum a bit to include more student-centered projects and art making experiences. However, the textbook was still used for most of the instructional time (esp. for the first year art students). Years have passed, and here I am again! I am now the teacher and I would say that I have taken drastic measures in re-shaping the curriculum. I like to mix pedagogical methods, and play with both traditional and contemporary strategies. I have constructed separate curriculum maps for Art I, II, III, and have also added two more. My two brand new designs are used in my College Board Studio AP Art (advanced art) classes. And my very latest one is titled: “Artcology (a combination of Art and Ecology that is used to further learning in Eco-Art Education).
Part Four
During
week two, I completed the Marzano’s self-score and have decided to highlight
two areas that I would like to work through throughout the semester. My focus
will be on the creation of game-like strategies and the inclusion of more
physical activity.
As I discussed in week
two, I’ve been hoping to include more game-like strategies in my classroom, but
wasn’t sure how I could make it work for my classroom. I do invite my students
to engage in some activities such as “art style category” games, but feel I
could definitely tie in more ideas. I have struggled to do this because
it seems there is often a power struggle. At times I feel some students try to
answer all of the questions while many of the others hide from the spotlight.
That being said, studies show that you can strengthen and promote learning skills through the use of game-like activities. I feel that if executed properly, these activities could be tied to real-world themes or topics and help keep students more engaged and make learning more relevant.
That being said, studies show that you can strengthen and promote learning skills through the use of game-like activities. I feel that if executed properly, these activities could be tied to real-world themes or topics and help keep students more engaged and make learning more relevant.
My
students are active whenever we work with paint, printmaking, gesture drawings
and other activities where movement is necessary. However, I feel as though my
students refrain from a lot of physical activity. It is sometimes difficult to
motivate them to be more mobile when I need them to be.
I do
feel many of my students are less active due to technological advancements, and
poor diet. Movement/exercise is important in improving both body and mind. Research
does show that physical activity can help students with cognition, attention
span, and can also help improve classroom behavior as well. I also think it can
invigorate creative response. For these many reasons, I will be looking for new
ways to include more bodily-kinesthetic approaches during my lessons.
I think that too much inphasis has been placed on impoverished students and their ability to be successful. There are exceptions to every "rule" but I think that some times, based on research it is difficult to see beyond that. While it is true that I had behavior problems because of some of the things that were happening in my home, I am an academic success. If I do say so myself. I think when we get into the habit of dismissing issues because a student is impoverished then that is a problem. Our school has always had issues with meeting our standardized scoring for our sub groups. Now these students are in subgroups because of race and socioeconomics. Not once have we talked about what is or is not working for these students. Instead, it is almost as if they are dismissed as an individual. That is not fair. I believe we need to think beyond social class when it comes to our students.
ReplyDeleteOh, I agree, that issues should not dismissed simply b/c a child is "at risk." Students still have a responsibility to achieve and reach academic outcomes. They are also held accountable if they develop behavior issues that disturb the learning environment. That being said, the school where I teach helps students that are in need. We provide things to help them if they are struggling. For instance, we have a program that provides clothing, gift cards, school materials, field trip money, etc. b/c not all students can afford those things. Also, some students have unstable learning environments at home, and if I know that a situation with a student is preventing them from succeeding in the classroom, I'm going to do everything I can to make sure they do well in class. Assessment of the students and their needs really should be reviewed on a "case by case" basis.
ReplyDeleteGood Morning Annette!
ReplyDeleteThis hits the nail on the head “Sometimes I think we expect our students to be open-minded and accepting of new practices, and yet we never question our own role in this concept!”
As soon as we begin to look at this idea, I mean really unpack it, there are many many layers to this. Being open minded is not necessarily a linear thing. I imagine thoughts/ideas as a web (which is also not flat but multi dimensional), and introducing something new into this web impacts every other part of the web, and here is where the true reflective work begins. How deeply into the web does reflection go? How does the reflection transform the structure of the web? Does it extend it? What is included in the web? Deep and true reflection challenges what we believe. It can fundamentally challenge our epistemology (how we know what we know) As you point out, this can be hard. However, reflecting on ones relationship with change is a good thing if change is difficult.
I love that you have come full circle and are now at the very high school you attended, WOW! I can imagine the echo's of past moments now and again traveling the hallways. I am very interested in learning more about your artcology class. Ive done a fair amount of work in this area and love hearing about how other artist/teachers are investigating this as well. Have you read Peter London’s work? You mention the dynamic curriculum you have created, fantastic! Is this something you have designed from the ground up? Are you working with a structure and fine tuning it for your program?
Lavonna and Annette,
You are both making valid points. However, I would like to invite everyone (not just us) to shed the labels which do just as Lavonna suggests. While there may be kids who come from less affluent situations and do have legitimate financial needs, I do not agree this means they are always less likely to succeed. Yes, it is great to have supplies on hand to offer to someone struggling to attain them. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Yes, socioeconomic status comes with its struggles. That said, I have encountered as many or more students coming from affluent situations whose lives are considerably unstable. They too have many “bad nights” at home. This idea that some one is “at risk” is tenuous. Label someone and they are interacted with as such and they assume part of that as their identity. Knowing their situation without labeling, is another thing. That implies knowing, understanding, relating and dialogue, not categorizing. (Even if were only doing it in our mind) Every student comes to us with unlimited potential, every student comes to us with hidden obstacles. Some, education has labels for, some education would prefer to ignore and I am certain, plenty of things we never hear about. Kids are fiercely resilient. When they KNOW we believe in them, any child form any situation can accomplish just about anything. Labels are out there, they are imbedded in the language and difficult to escape. Be mindful of the meaning we attach to them and how it may subtly inform our actions and attitudes. Again, these labels were not invented to do harm, nor is there intended harm in how we respond to them, BUT being conscious of how they shape our perceptions and ideas about someone is important.
Students are considered "at risk" by the education system. Perhaps that is wrong in many people’s eyes for the government to "label" students. And I agree it can be controversial. However, there is proof in the charts and in studies that family and community factors such as poverty, parental unemployment and/or low educational attainment, homelessness, transience or living in out-of-home care, etc. can and often does affect a student's academic success. That is why the state has a waiver system in place for students to receive free/reduced lunch. And of course, colleges offer financial assistance for those in need as well. I did not mean to offend anyone (if I did), by explaining the situation at my school and how we aim to support students who are lacking financially. I by no means believe that one student is better than another or that poorer students do not have the ability to score just as well or high (that would be very stereotypical!). However, I also feel we cannot ignore facts and statistics. And we can't just say "let everyone fend for themselves" b/c that would not give those that are well below the poverty line an equal chance. Again, we have to observe and as you said, Ms. Ruopp "know, understand, and relate" to our students well enough to know kids on a case by case basis.
ReplyDeleteMs. Ruopp- My Artcology curriculum was embedded into my advanced art class for 9 weeks. Eventually, I'd like to have a 18 week class that explores eco-art the entire time. If you are interested in my Eco-Art Education project/class that I incorporated in Spring 2014, you can read my publication which is stored on my Weebly website (as well as in the University of Florida Library):
http://saldanaart.weebly.com/are6910-capstone-project.html
No worries Annette, from my perspective, there was no offense. I was inviting reflection on the ideas surrounding it (beyond statistics) and how it impacts what we believe.:)
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your link, I will check it out!