“Playing,
Creativity, and Possibility” reading summary and reflection:
In
Playing, Creativity, and Possibility, Olivia
Gude discusses the importance of a curriculum that supports experimentation,
innovation, and individualism. She reveals the ways that standardized teaching places
constraints on problem solving skills. She explains how teachers often opt for
a more traditional framework at times due to certain setbacks such as student anxiety
and resistance. Students are often afraid to open up and share their ideas for
fear of peer rejection. They are also sometimes resistant to creative practices
because they are afraid of how they will be assessed or judged by teachers.
Gude states that many students are used to conforming to societal norms and that
this can affect how students engage in artistic practices. She describes how to
cultivate creativity through opening up discussions and interpretations about
art. And through her Spiral Workshop studies she expands upon Surrealist
methods of “seeing into” explorations. Gude warns teachers to re-consider the
ways we set criteria and guidelines within experimental play. She says that stringent
rules can “impinge on a student’s intuitive choice-making.” (Gude, 2010).
Through
creative play, investigations, and interpretation we are allowing our students
to begin to make “nuanced observations of inner experiences as they engage in
creative work”. (Gude, 2010).
Internalized activities are important as students begin to form self and
create an inner locus of evaluation. For some students, this means that issues
or emotions that are deeply personal or complex may emerge. A nurturing artistic community can provide
students with a support system in which communication becomes an important part
of the creative process.
“Postmodern Principles” reading summary
and reflection:
Along
with aesthetic theory, comes the long talked about topic based on the elements
and principles of art. Gude opens her article Postmodern Principles by highlighting the ways traditional strong
holds are still apparent in classrooms despite the need for students to form
meaningful connections in art. The author explains that formal ways of
analyzing and making art should not be the main emphasis of a curriculum design.
Gude describes the ways that the 7+7 method is not conducive to producing an
authentic or motivating learning experience for students of the 21st
century. She proposes that now that 100 years has passed, it is now time for a
new set of principles to be utilized that can lead to more conceptual art studies.
Her teaching strategies tie in the
categories of: Appropriation, Juxtaposition, Recontextualization, Layering,
Hybridity, Interaction of Text & Image, Gazing, and Representin’.
Perhaps,
it is time that teachers consider what is important for their students to learn
and match those objectives with the lessons that they teach. “According to a
recent NAEA survey, teaching understanding of the elements and principles of
design is the major curriculum goal (emphasis added) for art teachers at the
beginning of the 21st century” (School Arts, 2001). I feel it is important for
student artists of the 21st century to learn about art within various cultures
(past and current). I also feel we should help to invigorate students so that
they may begin to develop their own individuality and creativity. Though, I
think it is great to teach students about the elements and principles of art, I
think we should also help students think more conceptually about why the
production of art is so important. Teaching the “why” behind art making is just
as important as the “how to."
My proposed art activity based on Gude’s
postmodern curriculum:
I think that the encouragement of creativity begins with teaching artistic inquiry. A lesson that I think could build upon this would be one based on Surrealism and Synectics. Students would be introduced to a book that is filled with artwork and synectic statements (ex. “If” by Sarah Perry). The book “If” unfolds by examining “if caterpillars were toothpaste” and “if cats could fly” and it closes with an open ended “If…” At this point, the learners would be asked to extend the book by illustrating new innovative ideas into a composition. They could develop, decorate, and exaggerate their story pages by using Surrealism as an inspiration for metaphorical visuals. The activity would be closed with a pair-share and reflection.
Week Seven Questions:
When do you notice “discomfort” when you are teaching?
-when
students respond to an art piece in a way that catches me off guard or that
might even seem somewhat inappropriate to others.
-when
I grade students I want to support their creativity, but I admit that I have a
more difficult time assessing works of art based on “play.”
-when
students do not want to engage in a project because they are so worried about
what the person next to them thinks.
What (if anything) inhibits your
creative development?
-Idea
generation can cause me to buckle under pressure. It is comparable to writer’s
block. Sometimes I just have to rid myself of that fear that comes with the “blank
canvas.”
-Technology gets in my way at times. I find that it can distract me from my work. I just want to be a hermit sometimes and get away from emails, videos, and social media.
-Technology gets in my way at times. I find that it can distract me from my work. I just want to be a hermit sometimes and get away from emails, videos, and social media.
-Sometimes
I want to research certain topics, but then feel persuaded to look at other artist’s
work. I think Pinterest and Google images are great resources, but I don’t want
them to pull me away from my natural instincts or creative abilities. I feel original ideas are best so I am
constantly trying not to fall into the “pretty picture” trap.
Annette:
ReplyDelete"For some students, this means that issues or emotions that are deeply personal or complex may emerge. A nurturing artistic community can provide students with a support system in which communication becomes an important part of the creative process." I love how you worded that, specifically "nurturing artistic community". I feel like I might steal this and use it as my own personal mission statement for my classroom because it embodies everything that I feel is the utmost important about the art classroom.
I agree with Ashley. Creating a nurturing artistic community is worthy of a mission statement. In fact, I may use that for one of my goals. Once again, the Saldana Method saves the day!!
ReplyDeleteI find your comment about the difficulty of assessing works of art based on play noteworthy, as I was just wondering about that myself. I certainly don't want to be confined to the "cute" cookie cutter art so pervasive in art classrooms, easy to grade as it may be... However, when I think about how to assess (good word choice) those works produced by students that contain nebulous parameters, I wonder if I'll be able to do so without intervention of my own tastes. Come to think of it, how are art classes in k-12 even graded? Is it similar to how we're graded in this class? I almost imagine that the sole criteria is participation level.