Chapter 5 Reflective
Teaching
This chapter examines the different educational and social philosophies
that an educator may adopt as they form beliefs about teaching practices. These
traditions bring to light the focus of morals and ethics that often emerge from
within the classroom. Liston and Zeichner explore four distinct
varieties/styles of reflective teaching, but explain that many of the
categories they discuss may overlap or intertwine. It should be noted that they
insist that teachers understand the validity in all the traditions, so as not
to assume that the categories are exclusively used by educators. They go on to
add that there is negative and positive criticism attached to all of the
groupings that they have investigated:
Progressive-
Pro: prioritizes a student centered approach in teaching that creates meaningful connections based on student interests
Con: may lead to varied teacher expectations or lacking skills that break the continuity of subject oriented curriculum
Conservative-
Pro: content and skill focused curriculum that promotes student
understanding
Con: intrigue and vitality may be lacking due to too much “structure”
Con: intrigue and vitality may be lacking due to too much “structure”
Social Justice-
Pro: classroom activities focus on democracy and improving the human
condition
Con: some find it controversial to explore or teach students about social oppression (for ex. it could have the potential to lead to “reverse racism”)
Con: some find it controversial to explore or teach students about social oppression (for ex. it could have the potential to lead to “reverse racism”)
Spiritual-
Pro: an educational experience that offers students the opportunity to
contemplate the meaning behind life, emotions, and the human experience
Con: critics may see it as a gateway in which to illegally teach or promote religious context
Con: critics may see it as a gateway in which to illegally teach or promote religious context
Chapter 6
Reflective Teaching
In Chapter six, Liston and Zeichner discuss the ways in which the teaching self, our pupils, and context become relevant in our reflection as educators. The teaching self can be described as actions based on work, professional efforts, or vocational endeavors. “Work” within the teaching field is simplified as our transferring of intellectual information onto students. However, our work often extends into a form of mediation as we guide students to learn information that has been pulled from our own shared understandings. Professional efforts come as a result of our research based studies of scholarly text and norms set within our subject or field of education. Vocational endeavors involve a much deeper form of teaching as it proceeds our “calling” to compassionately instruct students. The authors elaborate on the ways student outcomes have been focused on in recent years, and ask educators to contemplate the ways that they center in on “students’ academic outcomes, their cognitive processing, and/or their social and emotional learning.” The final section of this text examines the ways cultural diversity, community, and interconnectedness play a huge role in social justice in and outside of the classroom.
Chapter 5
Marzano
In chapter 5, Marzano explains how teachers can gather focused feedback, use video performance as a form of reflection, obtain student achievement data that is explicit to teaching strategies utilized, and manage and track various sources of feedback. One of the major advantages of videotaping a lesson is the ability to watch the recording numerous times to deeply examine practices in full detail. Self-viewing can be vital in seeing how successfully we perform as educators. It also allows us to see how specific students react to our lessons/questioning strategies, and investigate how the classroom is operating as a group. Student sections can further be examined by creating control and experimental groups in order to see what types of teaching strategies may lead to more positive results in achievement. Graphing and journaling becomes beneficial in organizing an assortment of feedback and can help to provide insight that correlates to growth.
In chapter 5, Marzano explains how teachers can gather focused feedback, use video performance as a form of reflection, obtain student achievement data that is explicit to teaching strategies utilized, and manage and track various sources of feedback. One of the major advantages of videotaping a lesson is the ability to watch the recording numerous times to deeply examine practices in full detail. Self-viewing can be vital in seeing how successfully we perform as educators. It also allows us to see how specific students react to our lessons/questioning strategies, and investigate how the classroom is operating as a group. Student sections can further be examined by creating control and experimental groups in order to see what types of teaching strategies may lead to more positive results in achievement. Graphing and journaling becomes beneficial in organizing an assortment of feedback and can help to provide insight that correlates to growth.
Reading Reflection
Chapter 5 Reflective Teaching
CLASSROOM TEACHERS: Before watching any lesson you film, which tradition
do you most identify with (Please explain)? Why do you think this is? How does
it show up in your teaching?
I felt a connection to each tradition, and could see importance in all
the different teaching philosophies. However, I felt myself resonating with the
“progressive” style of teaching the most. I identify with this tradition in a
significant way because my students are my main focus. I often take a student
centered approach while in the classroom. The art lessons that my students are introduced to are developed in order to help them find their own voice and identity. Most
of the art making that they create is a product of student self interest
(despite the fact that they learn foundations/techniques first).
I deeply care about my students, and make every effort possible to make
sure I have a good understanding of them on a personal level. As an art teacher, I feel I have an ability
to speak to my students in a way in which they can relate the subject matter to
their own individualized lives. I believe that I positively benefit students by
helping them find intrinsic value in education as they understand the purpose
behind what I am teaching them.
Chapter 6 Reflective Teaching
CLASSROOM: How would you describe your teaching self? Share a teaching experience
which illustrates this.
I always tell new educators that having money in your bank account and
having medical benefits may be what attracts you to a stable career in teaching,
but it is not what will allow you to continue passionately working within the
field of education. It takes much more to be able to take on all of the responsibilities
of teaching. Yes, we work and apply our professional norms while on the job,
but it doesn’t end there. We are contributing to how students are developing
socially and emotionally. There isn’t a question in my mind that I was meant to
be at the service of guiding, teaching, and helping the youth of today.
However, I don’t think I could just teach anything. I have been “called” to
teach art. And…I use this vocational self to help students grow towards building
a stronger identity. I assist them as they become more independent thinkers and
“doers.”
Students need guidance in how to perceive and utilize essential
questions that can be employed in all areas of their life. As a teacher, I help
students to develop thoughtful ideas based on inquiry. I encourage them and teach
them not to solely depend upon straight and narrow “factual” information. Instead,
when they dig for details their analysis of information is often tied to a
philosophical examination of truth that is tied to self. By providing my
students with opportunities to explore and investigate, I instill within in
them a quest for knowledge.
The classroom can and should become a place in which students can begin
to examine their own belief systems. However, in opening dialogue with
students, we as educators must be open to discussion and even more so…listening.
I recently read a quote which struck a chord with me and I’d like to share it
with you all:
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
~Stephen Covey
*** (This is something I think everyone can continuously work on…including myself!)
*** (This is something I think everyone can continuously work on…including myself!)
Chapter 5 Marzano:
I have used some of the techniques that Marzano has discussed. Recently
I have used video recordings, student surveys, and student achievement charts
as part of gathering data related to student growth/learning. Also, I have kept
reflection journals in the past to help me better analyze my classroom behavior
management and teaching strategies. However, I haven’t recorded my own
performance while teaching a lesson in front of a group, and think this will be
a change for me and allow me to better observe the interconnectedness (or lack thereof)
that presents itself in my classroom. Also, I think it could be interesting to
create control groups to analyze student achievement. This is new to me and it sounds
interesting.
Annette,
ReplyDeleteI hope you are staying warm and the weather lets up soon!
Ha! I love the quote you posted. Indeed, “listening to understand” is a critical skill and one very useful to develop. To me this points to the difference between conversation and dialogue. One is a ping pong back and forth of content (conversation) while dialogue sinks into meaning and understanding. It is within the context of this where true discovery begins to emerge. I know when I dialogue with my own students (or anyone), I must be comfortable with long reflective pauses and additional deeper questioning as we seek to understand what is really being said. In a dialogue we need to be intone with inner resistance and reaction and wait it out before responding. In dialogue, often the initial topic is not really what mattered but what was uncovered later.
An example of this: One of my 7th graders approached me feeling frustrated about how her page in her altered book was developing. The statement they were responding to that week was “Willful Blindness: How does willful blindness keep us from “knowing” about each other?
They have to respond to this in their altered books utilizing Gudes' Postmodern principles and anything else they wish to use. (Obviously an abbreviated version of the assignment)
This particular student was frustrated with the way layered tissue paper was creating transparencies, she wanted it to “look” a certain way” as we discussed this, slowly, through reflective listening and then questions, (such as, what is bothering you about this? Why is this bothering you? How might someone else encounter it? We invited the feedback of another for this additional perspective) she discovered that the way the materials were behaving were a metaphor for one of the ways she is willfully blind to something potentially beautiful. That what we think should be, and what really is, can be two different things and one does not have to be bad for the other to be good. Through he dialogue, she encountered the process as something completely new and resumed working with a new direction in mind. I later heard her talking this through with another student.
Ive gone through your wonderful responses to the reading and highlighted some key points. What I am very interested in hearing about is the HOW of these statements. Each point is very important and something teachers (in my opinion and experience) should be doing. As a teacher with some experience, what can you share with the our class? Will you share a real life experience (like my sample above)?
“I deeply care about my students, and make every effort possible to make sure I have a good understanding of them on a personal level.”
“I have been “called” to teach art. And…I use this vocational self to help students grow towards building a stronger identity. I assist them as they become more independent thinkers and “doers.”
The classroom can and should become a place in which students can begin to examine their own belief systems. However, in opening dialogue with students, we as educators must be open to discussion and even more so…listening. I recently read a quote which struck a chord with me and I’d like to share it with you all:
ReplyDelete“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
~Stephen Covey
------
I LOVE this! I just was flipping through facebook the other day and the site "Humans of New York" which had a photo of an older woman who said the quote: “When I was younger, I thought listening was just about learning the contents of someone’s mind. I’d always try to finish their thoughts, just to show them that I knew what they were thinking. As I got older, I learned to listen better. I realized that by trying to anticipate their mind, I was ignoring their heart.”
Ever since I've read that quote it has SO resonated with me. I'm always trying to finish peoples sentences (why, I don't know.) when in fact I should be pausing and really listening to what people have to say.
I would be curious to hear more about your student surveys and your student achievement chart. I would be interested in creating something like this for next year so if you have any tips.. let a sista know! :)
P.S. LOVED getting to meet you at NAEA! Will you be up here for the summer time? Please say yes, you're just a whirlwind of fun! :)