Sunday, March 15, 2015

Week 8: Initial Blog Responses (3-15-15)

Jon-
I enjoyed seeing all of the process pictures as you worked and changed your ideas. That really helps the viewer to understand all the stops and turns you took along the way. Also, I am a fan of Realism and can appreciate the attention to detail that you were applying as you developed your portrait. The wide range of values that you applied helps to create a lot of contrast and variety. I am curious though about the underlying meanings that might be tied to your work (maybe even subconsciously). For instance, I think a lot can be said about your decision making to use an older portrait of yourself instead of a current one.
I think when artists choose materials that can oftentimes help to create a contextual story. Think about how the meaning could have completely been changed or altered had you chosen to use a “collective” of things that maybe tied into the identity of who you are (ping back to Do Huh Suh). Also, I am curious about where you see this vision of yourself reflected in your teaching or future teaching self. Since your picture is literal as opposed to metaphorical, I’m wondering what the links between your approach to art might be in relation to the classroom.


Clayton-
As I was reading your explanation/reflection of your work, I felt like I could relate to your reasoning. I, too, always feel my teacher self. Even while working as an artist, I often get this notion to alter my work using a taught technique or style. Although I have to say, it is nice sometimes to simply push that nagging voice out of my head and just go for it using some of Gude’s liberating suggestions (or ones similar to hers).
Teaching changes us so much and it’s neat to think about all of those tiny little morsels of symbolic imagery that could be tied to that transformation. For instance, all of the things we choose to teach in our classes ultimately can have an effect on our students and how they form viewpoints about art and themselves. I like that you spoke about how your traditional natured teaching is tied into your work. I did notice many familiar fragments of work collaged into the background (I have been collecting my demo images for awhile and have been trying to develop something with these fragments as well). It makes me wonder how much we are influenced by all those foundational studies that we filter into our everyday lectures/demos.
I enjoyed your use of color and expressionistic painting style. I also found all of the imagery, juxtaposed within your composition to be intriguing and creative. Your portrait speaks to me as it is both symbolic and aesthetically pleasing. I love your attention to detail and context!

No comments:

Post a Comment