Shirley-
My peers and I dealt with so many labels and stereotypes growing up that I can’t even imagine what it is like now for kids. With technology providing a veil for students to hide behind and cyber bullying, many of our students are struggling to find self-confidence. I keep trying to think about ways that I might be able to help students with these issues that they face. Communication about this topic can help to break ground into solving problems. I really liked the project that Livey had us do during the “empathy” presentation in Dr. Unrath’s class. Once I figured out how I could use it with my students, I embraced it even more. So what if we had students think about some of those hurtful labels, or stereotypes that bother them and then led them into a project where they turned these negative “titles” into more positive ones using imagery? What types of meaningful art activities do you think could provide ways for our students to “drop the labels?”
My peers and I dealt with so many labels and stereotypes growing up that I can’t even imagine what it is like now for kids. With technology providing a veil for students to hide behind and cyber bullying, many of our students are struggling to find self-confidence. I keep trying to think about ways that I might be able to help students with these issues that they face. Communication about this topic can help to break ground into solving problems. I really liked the project that Livey had us do during the “empathy” presentation in Dr. Unrath’s class. Once I figured out how I could use it with my students, I embraced it even more. So what if we had students think about some of those hurtful labels, or stereotypes that bother them and then led them into a project where they turned these negative “titles” into more positive ones using imagery? What types of meaningful art activities do you think could provide ways for our students to “drop the labels?”
Clayton-
I
try to provide honest feedback in my classes, too. Like you, I do tread lightly
as being too blunt can cause a student to shut down and put a wall up. One time
an AP Collegeboard student of mine became very upset with me because I told her
that the readers/judges wanted images that were less trite in nature (no
hearts, mushrooms, unicorns, etc.). Sometimes students are very sensitive and
can take things to heart even when we are trying to give them constructive
criticism. On the other hand, I suppose some of this may help to prepare them
for college courses where critiques can be pretty rough!
I
also try to avoid blanket statements when giving praise. Saying things like
“that’s good”, “I like your artwork”, and “great job” do not help the growing
artist. I try to be specific so that the student understands that their work is
seen an individualized/specialized way. For instance, I might instead say
something like... “I really enjoy the symbol that you included in the corner of
the page, the way you have cropped it adds intriguing mystery as the viewer is
compelled to investigate it further.”
No comments:
Post a Comment