Read and Reflect:
Reading Summary (Marzano chapter 6):
Marzano recommends that teachers watch videos of other
educators teaching classes. Although, the author does stress that educators
should be looking for both effective and non-successful practices during the
process. After identifying those things that stood out to the educator, the
teacher is asked to think about suggestions that would help to improve the
lesson strategy.
Coaching colleagues are used as a means to observe and then
give important feedback. Sometimes coaching colleagues meet one on one in pair
groups and other times they could devise larger groups or teams. Oftentimes, a
set of norms is composed to help direct goals during the gatherings/sessions.
Instructional rounds are recommended for teachers as well.
The goal of this strategy is to help teachers become more self-directed and
enhance individualized practices in the classroom. Teacher-observers are evaluating
classrooms, but not for the sake of giving feedback to the other teacher being
observed. Information documented by the evaluator is only presented given that
the observed teacher requests it. After observations teachers can begin to identify
and record strategies they already put into practice, strategies they saw other
educators utilize, queries they now have about their own application of strategies,
and fresh ideas that are beginning to form.
Reading Reflection (Marzano chapter 6):
Personally, I think it is important to watch videos of other
people teaching. I plan to check out the videos that Marzano suggested as well
as others. I recently watched a set of lessons being taught that I found on the
TEAM.org website as the state of Tennessee developed a new teacher evaluation
system. The film clips helped me to see how teachers were scored based on their
performance in class. I just wish there were more resources for art educators.
Most of the lessons I have seen on the internet feature core curriculum subject
areas.
I have also seen the
importance of having a coaching colleague. I had a couple of mentors during the
first years of teaching. Many times they were helpful in providing advice, but
in a non-subjective way that seemed unthreatening to my professionalism score.
Let’s face it, sometimes administrators can seem intimidating.
This year is my first year engaging in instructional rounds.
It seems to be a fun way to gather up information and to reflect on practices.
Though I won’t actually have the ability to travel to another visual art
teacher’s classroom, I look forward to gaining more information about how
others have used “tried and true” teaching strategies with the students within
our school. I think I will probably visit the family and consumer class and the
apparel design class first as my visual art class is a pre-requisite for those
courses.
Video Refection II:
1. Pre-thinking
The kinds
of changes that I’d like to see in my classroom: I would
like for students to be more actively involved as a group in class so that they
can build a more collaborative relationship. They are still really focused on
being “separate encapsulated egos.” I’m hoping that by opening up opportunities
for students to discuss artworks as a class, this might help them to ping ideas
off of one another and open the lines of communication. I’m also hoping to help
students think more in-depth about artworks and guide them into practices in
which they begin to look at artworks longer and more intently. Another goal
would be to have them think critically about the underlying purposes behind
making art. I have created a lesson that focuses on the ways symbolism can be
used within a work of art to tell a story.
My “video
two” was chunked into three different sections:
Introduction-(Students) Can you interpret or tell the story of an art piece?
Engagement-(Students) Interpret Holbein’s “The Ambassadors” by looking at icons and thinking about the meaning/context that could be associated with them. After compiling information we will share and discuss as a class.
Introduction-(Students) Can you interpret or tell the story of an art piece?
Engagement-(Students) Interpret Holbein’s “The Ambassadors” by looking at icons and thinking about the meaning/context that could be associated with them. After compiling information we will share and discuss as a class.
Conclusion-(Students) Begin to think about
symbols and icons that you could use in an art piece that might tell a story
(autobiographical or biographical).
2. After-filming Thoughts
It is the hook of the
lesson that often draws the learner in. Forming a connection also takes “on the
spot” action story telling. For instance, there are times when you see students
drifting off so you decide to go left field and hit them with some relative
account. This happened to me during my lesson. As I was talking about the
importance of symbolism in Holbein’s painting titled “The Ambassadors”, I
noticed that the students were fading out. Anyway, I could have kept going, but
I decided to change gears. I approached them with a question “what did you do when
you were snowed in?” The students began to shoot out answers and were quick to
respond that they had indeed been watching television, looking at videos,
eyeing the internet, etc. I then began to tell them about the ways in which
paintings were a main source of entertainment of the past. I reinforced the
fact that people in the 1500s had no computers or digital devices. Explaining how paintings were (and still are)
conversation pieces filled with clues, mysteries, and symbols led to my
students becoming the investigators of a painting. I went from that topic into
allowing them to become the detectives for the day. My inquiry to them was
“Could they interpret or tell the story of the art piece?” After I had their
attention, I think the discussion/talk transgressed in a relatively smooth way.
I did have a few concerns
that I thought about for awhile during and after the recording of student
responses. A student was describing the “Ambassadors” and said that they looked
like pimps. I worried that she might be saying this just to get a reaction out
of me. However, I thought it was a somewhat valid point and just responded to
her comment as though she brought up a good point. A few students giggled and
laughed. And then (my face a bit flushed), I quickly moved away from the topic
she brought up.
Also, I had a student barge into my room because a teacher had asked them to see if I had any duct tape they could use for a school project. Again, the students got off track and this disruption made for an awkward situation. It bothered me because I felt like my classroom was engaged in a great talk and now I would have to wrestle to get their attention back. I also felt like I couldn’t say “no” to the student wanting to borrow the supplies because he has an IEP that at times causes him to not interact/react properly in rejection type situations. Not only that, given the student’s high IQ, he knows a lot about history. He interjected my discussion and began to tell all the students about the painting from a historical standpoint (he knew his facts)!
Also, I had a student barge into my room because a teacher had asked them to see if I had any duct tape they could use for a school project. Again, the students got off track and this disruption made for an awkward situation. It bothered me because I felt like my classroom was engaged in a great talk and now I would have to wrestle to get their attention back. I also felt like I couldn’t say “no” to the student wanting to borrow the supplies because he has an IEP that at times causes him to not interact/react properly in rejection type situations. Not only that, given the student’s high IQ, he knows a lot about history. He interjected my discussion and began to tell all the students about the painting from a historical standpoint (he knew his facts)!
3. Reflections
and Comparisons
Luckily, the students didn’t
react to the "pimp" comment to the point where I couldn’t pull them back into the talk we were
having. A few giggles erupted here and there, but then I brought up something
new to discuss and we were back on track in having a more school appropriate
conversation. What seemed like such a tense, long drawn out situation wasn’t
that bad at all. After watching the video I was relieved. As a matter of fact,
I feel now as though maybe I should have expanded the talk? I mean after all,
the girl was using her own visual culture to interpret fine art!
Also surprising to me was
the fact that the so called disruption by the “duct tape incident” wasn’t that
terrible either. What felt like a lengthy issue that was taking forever to
resolve was actually just an occurrence that lasted less than three minutes. Plus,
I ended up using that interruption to my advantage as I segued into…”Yes, there
are “facts” about art, but we are using our own interpretations to explore this
artwork. A painting can tell thousands of stories depending on who is analyzing
it.”
Comparing views from 1st
to 2nd video:
1st video: I like for
them (the students) to understand the vital importance of theme and context. I
acknowledge that the elements and principles of design are important, but often
find that many teachers place too much focus on formal qualities in art. In
order to move towards more postmodern principles, I think we have to become
engaged in the purposes behind why art is being created. It is crucial for
artists (teachers and students) to become more innovative and interpretive in
the underlying meanings behind visual icons. By doing this, I believe we may
help students find their own artistic voice.
2nd video:
I still think that it is beneficial for students to look for
underlying meanings in art. Although, I think we have to be careful as teachers
to not push too much of our own understanding onto students. If we really want
students to think freely, we have to allow them to see the open-endedness of
artworks. I’m working on this as sometimes my knowledge of art history urges me
to reveal information about the art piece (which is not always of importance
when you are interpreting works of art).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1st video: Time management is crucial in how a
lesson/activity might be executed. It is beneficial to have all of your
materials/tools ready or prepped, to balance lectures and demos, and it helps
to model how artistic ideas come into fruition.
2nd video:
Time management strategies are important in how smooth a
lesson can transition. However, it is all right to stray away from the lesson
sometimes. As a matter of fact, what I learned from my second video is that
sometimes diverting ourselves away from the framework we have devised or
imagined can lead to some eye opening discussions. Though it helps to find a balance
in what types of things are taught and how they are taught, some flexibility in
how quickly you move from point A to B is okay.
Hi Annette!
ReplyDeleteI feel you explore your comfort zones very well in your reflection. No matter the planning, we have to be prepared for the unexpected. Sometimes these may seem like disasters, but I think video reflection does a good job of putting things into perspective for us. You mention your face being a little flushed over the “pimp” comment. I think it was very wise to keep a level head about it and explore this discomfort. I like that you explored it even further in your reflection considering how to extend the conversation instead of addressing and quickly moving past it. I am curious how your students responded to the IEP guest spouting facts about the painting, and a comparison to student reaction when you were providing facts. Often I struggle to get my K-8 kids to truly listen to each other, its more akin to me having 25 separate conversations at once over one conversation with 26 contributors. This is something I want to address. I also wonder if you could have attacked the painting in reverse. I got the impression that it was a lecture that you transitioned into a VTS type situation based on reflection of student engagement. What if you had started out with a pure VTS of “what do you see”, and then transitioned into a VTS inspired conversation where you start sharing facts about the painting?
"It is the hook of the lesson that often draws the learner in." I like it! Sort of like a good pop song. In this case, was the hook when you explained the correlation between paintings as entertainment in classic times vs television in modern times? In any case, I like the concept of a lesson hook. I think it will help me in planning my own lessons.
ReplyDeleteYes, Jon! My "hooks" oftentimes tie in some kind of real world connection. And sometimes, I use some kind of attention grabbing artwork that intrigues them. If you can get them to focus at the beginning of the lesson, I find it helps tremendously as you transition into the "meat" of the day's activity.
DeleteHI Annette, sounds like you have really been taking a step back and taking a look at things, wonderful work!
ReplyDeleteI recall that your first video was about your artistic process and that you were going to reflect on your process as an artist to that of your teaching. It sounds here like perhaps you completed an additional video of your teaching? If that is the case, I applaud your efforts!
Your lesson sounds as if it went very well, interruptions included. Sometimes those interruptions are little unexpected gifts as in the student knowing his historical facts. Also, taking a non reactive stance on the "pimp" remark was wise. ;)
These group discussions can and do build community and a collaborative environment. In my own classes, when we spend time talking as a whole group, they learn that it is a safe place to really explore authentic ideas. Group discussions often lead to smaller group collaborations and the "classroom": becomes more of a studio think tank. They have so much they can learn from each other. :) Nice work.