Title: “Grounding”
Media: Pencil, Watercolor Paint, Pen & Ink
Dimensions: 9”x 12”
There
are so many things in life that can bring us down, make us feel terrible, give
us anxiety, and this is a problem. This isn’t just a problem for students; it
is an issue for teachers. How many of us bite off more than we can chew, pull
all nighters, run endlessly around the school before/in between classes, worry
about things that are going on with our students, and on top of it all we are faced
with the challenge of making on an impact on future generations? So, it’s
heavy, right? The checklist never really ends up crossed out…it just keeps
getting bigger. In my own life, I’ve have found that I have to find ways to reflect,
mediate, and push negativity out of my mind. After six years of teaching, I
have felt the repercussions of classroom burnout. By working through this I
have found that peace of mind has been vital to my own growth and stamina as an
educator and as an artist.
My artwork is based around the things
that have helped me to form a positive outlook. I should probably start by
telling you about my profound love for nature and how most of my artwork is
somehow centered on this concept. In my most recent efforts to get back to my
optimistic self, I have been looking for things to help me rejuvenate. One of
my favorite things to do when the weather is cooperative is to practice
grounding. When grounding, I lie on the earth (or stand barefoot), and begin to
feel the coolness of the grass and the warmth from the sun. But it’s more than
that, I’m soaking up the natural energy that surrounds me and I’m understanding
that the core of myself is tied to something bigger than me. My portrait is
reflecting me in a “grounded” state of mind.
While
creating my artwork, I decided to listen to music as it is another therapeutic
technique that I use to get into a contemplative state of mind. I divided
sections of my hair and used a Zentangle technique to fill in shapes or doodle
into those spaces. As a result, my mood and meditative state transferred into
my mark making. I played atmospheric songs by Ellie Goulding, Bon Iver, Hozier,
and The Cure to really help stimulate my inner senses. Later I added warm
colors that I felt would help to communicate the intensity that came pouring
out of my head as I produced my patterns. During this entire process I think I
was adopting the Gude principles within my art without even realizing it. For
instance, I used “recontextualization” (symbols sprouting from my head) and “representin’”
(using personal history and music to direct my work) to express myself.
I
think the idea of “play” really helped me to let loose while creating. And as I
was drinking from my juice box, I immediately had the sensation that I should
use my drinking straw and work with the background of my artwork. Gude echoed Carl
Roger’s sentiments when she stated that “Creative individuals develop a deeply
rooted trust in their own capacity to generate surprising solutions. Even as
they experience the anxiety of creative exploration, they are grounded in a
realistic belief (based in personal experience) that surrender to the creative
process may produce
surprising, useful, stimulating results.” (Gude, 2010). That is exactly what I
did as I chose to begin blowing green paint (which symbolizes re-birth) around
on my composition page. Ironically, the designs that were produced appeared to
be very root-like. I went with this idea and further encouraged this metaphor
of being firmly connected by drawing fibrous lines with my ink pen.
It is my opinion that we cannot fully understand or teach something that we ourselves do not practice. Artistic freedom can serve as an outlet for expression and emotion. Activities that help us to free our minds and form an internal locus run so much deeper than ones that focus on mere elements and principles. This portrait activity is significant because it allows “a creative maker to foster awareness of the intertwining of the outer world and inner consciousness.” (Gude, 2010). In the future, I hope to continue to implement lesson plans that motivate my students and guide them into authentic projects that help them become self-expressive, creative individuals.

(***Progressive stages of design.)
|
Hi Annette,
ReplyDeleteWell, the snow days may be wreaking havoc for schools but it sure has been a sanctuary for you! To have an extended uninterrupted time period for sinking into creative process is a gift for sure.
I am excited to hear you speak in first person about your portrait and process. It allowed a peak below the surface. I enjoyed so much hearing about the things which ground you. I too am a nature person (especially drawn to trees, hence my own imagery)
Nice work tying in Gude's concepts as well as play. Pink and Gude both offer wonderful conceptual frameworks to operate from as an artist and teacher. Although the portrait does have a very grounding feel to it, imbued within it is a playful fluid feeling which is a lovely balance. In the coming weeks, pay attention to how these concepts take root in your thinking and expression in the classroom and keep note in your reflection log. Imagine this portrait in combination with you teaching metaphor. (if you ever have school again! Good grief what a winter! will you have to add on to the end of the year?)
In the mean time, bask in the glow of your stellar week. With your snow days to complete week 8, you get a breather!
Annette,
ReplyDeleteYou give an excellent account of a conducive environment and I really love how you take this fantastic idea of Grounding and use it as a springboard! Environment is so important to feeling creative. I am like a sponge to my environment, absorbing the colors, emotions, smells, weather and personalities of that around me. Put me in some blinding hot sunshine, some cool-clean water, or my hand in the dirt and I automatically feel better. I enjoy how you speak of selecting just the right music. It speaks of how important it is to set up the correct foundations, placement of things we know will inspire. The juice box part really made me laugh, I can truly feel the spontaneity and comfort of a setting that allows you to rethink and utilize the materials around you.
Hi Annette! I’m not a practicing teacher yet, but I can totally relate to your thoughts about burnout and anxiety in other areas of life. I want to adopt your practices for pushing out negativity! I enjoyed your comments about listening to music while creating your artwork – I am the same way! It depends on the day and my mood what kind of music I listen to, but like you, it has to be from the same genre to really set the tone and create an atmosphere for working. I love when you said, “I divided sections of my hair and used a Zentangle technique to fill in shapes or doodle into those spaces. As a result, my mood and meditative state transferred into my mark making.” I can see a reflection of this meditative state in your self-portrait and I am able to feel the same kinds of things you spoke about with “grounding” as well. I definitely see your self-portrait as a meditative, reflective, peaceful and positive image!
ReplyDelete